Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How To Share Your Faith
I'll be examing Dave Burke's tips, along with the guidance of others.

Here are 5 things he says:
  • Make friends
  • Pray
  • Make it obvious you are a Christian
  • Bring your Christian and not-yet-Christian friends together
  • Learn to tell your story
Plus, for my Episcopal friends. Yes, we do consider a person a Christian at baptism. However, the enjoyment of that covenant established at Baptism requires repentance and faith on the part of the baptized. So, when we ask whether or not a person is a Christian, we mean, has this person repented and believed and entered into the promises conveyed at Baptism. In short, is this person a Christian.

3 comments:

The Lemonts said...

Hello Father Jim, Christ is Risen!

Imagine my suprise and joy when I discovered you have a blog.

More than one time in my Christian life I have had people say they were suprised when they learned I was a Christian because I wasn't a jerk, judemental, or demanding conversions. I would always try to make the point that it is important for me to meet people where they are and not to expect that they meet my standard and then merit my love, help, etc.

I once had a potential customer ask me to recite a "Sinners Prayer" just to make sure I was a Christian before he would do buisness with me. I refused, my competition did not and I did not get the customers buisness even though he said I had "earned" it. He explained that Grace is something that can not be earned but the free gift of God. I wanted to point how reciting a prayer to "get saved" was just a different way of saying recite a prayer and merit salvation.

I think a good way to share the faith is by actually inviting people to church. Other than by Mormons and Eastern Orthodox Clergy I have never been invited to attend church by Christian friends or co-workers, not even the one's asking for my on the spot conversion.

The Lemonts said...

"Acquire the spirit of peace and thousands around you will be saved"-
St. Seraphim of Sarov

Jim Basinger said...

David: Yep - I'm bloggling all right - not everyday, but occasionally. Good to hear from you.

Jim